Friday, February 28, 2014

Thanks be to God for Pope Benedict XVI

Today marks one year since His Holiness Benedict XVI formally resigned from the papacy. Contrary to the negative and prejudiced viewpoints of some, I think he did a fine job as pope. He had to govern the Church during difficult times, he had many challenges to face and many responsibilities to carry out, but he met the challenges head-on and carried out his responsibilities with dedication and perseverance. He successfully carried the baton passed to him by the great Blessed John Paul II, smoothly transitioning the Church into the post-John Paul era. A great intellectual pontiff who was also humble and approchable, he built on the foundations John Paul laid for the modern papacy, carrying forward what he had begun. In the course of his eight-year pontificate, the first full pontificate of the twenty-first century, Benedict visited some two dozen foreign countries, attended three World Youth Days (Cologne 2005, Sydney 2008, Madrid 2011), gave the Church three encyclicals (God Is Love, Saved by Hope and Charity in Truth), persistently denounced violence in God's name as contrary to both faith and reason, warned us of the dangers of radical secularism and a world without God, challenged us to a renewal of faith and evangelization, squarely addressed the Church's sexual abuse problem with courage and compassion for the victims, oversaw the successful implementation of the new Roman Missal commissioned by John Paul II, helped to clarify and implement properly the liturgical reforms of Vatican II, undertook the reform of the papacy and the Roman Curia, improved the Church's relations with our separated Orthodox brethren, and established a special ordinariate for Anglicans wishing to retain their liturgical traditions while reuniting fully with the Church--to name just a portion of his accomplishments.

I think sometimes we fail to appreciate the significance of Benedict XVI's papacy. True, he was not perfect, and he made some mistakes, but I think most of these mistakes can be attributed to the fact that communication was not his greatest strength; he did not always make clear why he was doing this or that, which often led to misunderstandings that were amplified by the secular media. But that aside, I think's it's fair to say his papacy was a remarkable success, and that history will ultimately pass a favorable judgment on his reign. Benedict XVI deserves our heartfelt gratitude for his service to the Church as the 264th Successor of Peter. Thank you, Your Holiness! You are in our prayers and our hearts as you continue to serve the Church in the role of Pope Emeritus.

In comemoration of his wise and courageous resignation one year ago today, here are a few excerpts from his final Wednesday audience address attended by some 200,000 pilgrims and viewed by millions around the world on TV on February 27, 2013:

"I feel that I carry everyone in prayer, in a present that is God’s, where I recall every meeting, every trip, every pastoral visit. I gather everyone in prayer to entrust them to the Lord, so that we may have full knowledge of His will, in all wisdom and spiritual understanding, and so that we may comport ourselves in a manner worthy of Him, of His love, bearing fruit in every good work (cf. Col 1:9-10).

"At this time, I feel great trust, because I know, all of us know, that the Word of the truth of the Gospel is the strength of the Church, it is its life. The Gospel purifies and renews, it bears fruit, wherever the community of believers listens and receives the grace of God in truth and lives in charity. This is my trust, this is my joy...

"I always knew that the Lord is in the boat, and I always knew that the boat of the Church is not mine, not ours, but it is His. And He will not let her sink, it is He who leads it, certainly also through the men he has chosen, because so He has willed it. This was and is a certainty, that nothing can obscure. And that is why today my heart is filled with gratitude to God because He has never left me or the Church without His consolation, His light, His love...

"I would like to invite everyone to renew their firm trust in the Lord, to trust like children in the arms of God, certain that those arms support us always and are what allow us to walk every day, even when fatigued. I would like everyone to feel loved by that God who gave his Son for us and has shown us his boundless love. I want everyone to feel the joy of being Christian. A beautiful prayer to be recited daily in the morning says: "I adore you, my God, I love you with all my heart. Thank you for having created me, for having made me Christian..." Yes, we are happy for the gift of faith; it is the most precious thing, that no one can take from us! We thank God for this every day, with prayer and with a coherent Christian life. God loves us, but expects that we too love Him!...

"I would like to thank from my heart all the many people around the world who in recent weeks have sent me touching tokens of attention, friendship and prayer. Yes, the Pope is never alone, now I experience this again in so great a way that it touches my heart. The Pope belongs to everyone and many people feel very close to him...Here one can touch firsthand what the Church is - not an organization, not an association for religious or humanitarian purposes, but a living body, a community of brothers and sisters in the Body of Jesus Christ, who unites us all. To experience the Church in this way and to be able almost to touch with your hands the power of its truth and its love, is a source of joy, in a time when many speak of its decline. But we see how the Church is alive today!....

"I will not return to private life, to a life of travel, meetings, receptions, conferences and so on. I am not abandoning the cross, but remain in a new way with the Crucified Lord. I no longer carry the power of the office for the government of the Church, but in the service of prayer I remain, so to speak, within St. Peter's bounds. St. Benedict, whose name I bear as Pope, will be for me a great example in this. He showed us the way to a life which, active or passive, belongs wholly to the work of God...

"I thank each and everyone for the respect and understanding with which you have accepted this important decision. I will continue to accompany the journey of the Church through prayer and reflection, with the dedication to the Lord and to His Spouse, with which I have tried to live every day until now and with which I want to live forever...

"Let us invoke the maternal intercession of Mary, Mother of God and of the Church, that she accompany each of us and the whole ecclesial community; we entrust ourselves to Her, with deep confidence.

"Dear friends! God guides His Church, he sustaines her always, and especially in difficult times. Let us never lose this vision of faith, which is the only true vision of the Church and the world. In our heart, in the heart of each of you, may there always be the joyous certainty that the Lord is near us, he does not abandon us, he is near us and surrounds us with his love. Thank you!"

Thanks be to God for Pope Benedict XVI!

No comments: